Who is at risk of overdose?
- Take high doses of opioids for long-term management of chronic pain.
- Have a history of substance use or a previous non-fatal overdose.
- Use heroin.
- Have lowered opioid tolerance as a result of completing a detoxification program or recently being released from incarceration.
- Use a combination of opioids and other drugs such as benzodiazepines (Klonopin®, Valium®, Xanax®).
- Use a combination of opioids and alcohol.
- Are unfamiliar with the strength and dosage of prescription opioids and the purity of street drugs like heroin.
- Use drugs alone.
- Smoke cigarettes or have a respiratory illness, kidney or liver disease, cardiac illness, or HIV/AIDS.