Who is at risk of overdose?
- Are taking high doses of opioids for long-term management of chronic pain.
- Have a history of substance use or a previous non-fatal overdose.
- Are using heroin.
- Have lowered opioid tolerance as a result of completing a detoxification program or recently being released from incarceration.
- Are using a combination of opioids and other drugs such as benzodiazepines (Klonopin®, Valium®, Xanax®) or alcohol.
- Are unfamiliar with the strength and dosage of prescription opioids and the purity of street drugs like heroin.
- Are alone when using drugs.
- Smoke cigarettes or have a respiratory illness, kidney or liver disease, cardiac illness, or HIV/AIDS.